First International CSPP / IAPPS Symposium
Current Challenges and Future Directions in Insect and
Disease Management in Rice Production
Beijing, China, Oct. 24-26, 2012
Rice, a staple food for over half of the worlds’ population is a key to food security, social stability and the economy. Today, in many Asian and African countries, rice production is threatened by the shortage of arable land and water. In addition, insects and diseases are two major threats that cause severe yield losses in epidemic years. In the past two decades the frequent and improper application of chemicals, for insect and disease control, has caused the development of insect and pathogen resistance, affected farmers’ health, damaged the environment and reduced biodiversity. It is thus imperative that we review some of the critical issues concerning the development of more effective, sustainable, environmentally sound and socially acceptable strategies for insect and disease management. In conjunction with the annual meeting of the China Society of Plant Protection (CSPP), the International Association of Plant Protection Sciences (IAPPS) is sponsoring the first International CSPP / IAPPS joint symposium to discuss the following topics:
- Why are planthoppers such a serious problem in Asia now?
- What ecological engineering approaches can play a role in rice insect management?
- Is the host plant resistance (HPR) approach suitable for the management of rice insect pests?
- Rapid insecticide resistance development – Where do we go from here?
- Plantwise – New framework for integrating pest management.
- What are the best integrated approaches to rice diseases when HPR is not effective?
- What is the impact of abiotic stresses on rice disease development and epidemics?
- How do we achieve durable resistance by using both major and minor resistance genes?
- What is the effect of multilines and crop rotation for rice blast disease control?
- What are the effective control methods for emerging RSV and RBSDV diseases?
- What are the current status and potentials of bio-control approaches for rice diseases?
- What is the role of epidemiology in plant disease forecasting and control?
- What are some truly novel/out-of-the-box strategies for future durable resistance?
- Can we achieve a strategic approach to future plant protection in rice that involves major stakeholders and achieves productive and resilient outcomes?
Plenary lectures at the Annual Meeting of CSPP:
Dr. Geoff Norton, University of Queensland, Australia
Dr. Larry Madden, Ohio State University, USA
Dr. Noriharu Ken Umetsu, Otsuka Chemical/Tokyo University of Agriculture& Technology, Japan
Dr. Jianping Chen, Zhejiang Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
Dr. Le Kang, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
Dr. Youyong Zhu, Yunnan Agricultural University, China
Invited Speakers at the First International CSPP / IAPPS Symposium
Dr. Geoff Gurr, Charles Sturt University, Australia
Dr. Finbar Horgan, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines
Dr. Ki Deok Kim, Korea University, South Korea
Dr. Nollie Vera Cruz, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines
Dr. K.L. Heong, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines
Dr. TohruTeraoka, Tokyo University of Agriculture & Technology, Japan
Dr. Masaya Matsumura, National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, Japan
Dr. Zewen Liu, Nanjing University, China
Dr. Feng Zhang, CABI East Asia, Beijing, China
Dr. Yijun Zhou, Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
Dr. Guo-Liang Wang, Ohio State University, USA and CAAS, China.
Sponsored by: Chinese Society of Plant Protection and International Association for the Plant Protection Sciences.
Organized by: State Key Laboratory for Biology of Plant Diseases and Insect Pests (SKLBPI), Institute of Plant Protection, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China.
Co-organized by: China International Conference Center for Science and Technology (CICCST)
Scientific Programme Conveners:
Dr. Guo-Liang Wang, Professor, Ohio State University, USA and CAAS, China.
Dr. KL Heong, Coordinator of Region VIII: Southeast Asia of IAPPS. International Rice Research Institute, Philippines.
Date and Location: October 25-26, 2012, Jiuhua Resort & Convention Center, http://www.jiuhua.com.cn/enindex.asp, Beijing, China
|All DayOct.24, 2012
||All DayOct.26, 2012
||Opening Ceremony of annual meeting of CSPP
||5-6 plenary lectures at the annual meeting of CSPP
First International CSPP /IAPPS Symposium*
* The First International- CSPP / IAPPS Symposium on Current Challenges and Future Directions in Insect and Disease Management in Rice Production is one of 6 Symposia of the CSPP-Annual Meeting.
(Call for abstracts should be included here)
Registration and Abstract Deadline: August 1, 2012
||By 1stJune, 2012
||By 1stAugust, 2012
||After 1stAugust, 2012
Hotel Accommodation, Payment and Tour Reservation will be shown in the Second Announcement.Contact Information:
Mrs. Liping Wen,
Vice-Secretary-General, China Society of Plant Protection, Institute of Plant Protection, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences,
# 2 West yuanmingyuan Road, Beijing 100193 China
Tel /Fax: 86-10-62811917, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read Full Post »