Fourth International Conference of Eco-friendly Applied Biological Control of Agricultural Pests and Phytopathogens
Drs. Monir M. El-Husseini and Ahmed H. El-Heneidy under the auspices of the Egyptian Society for Biological Control of Pests conducted the 4th International Conference of Eco-friendly applied Biological Control of Agricultural Pests and Phytopathogens in Cairo, Egypt, October 19-22, 2015. About 200 participants from 10 countries attended this conference. Several papers were presented in the major sessions on parasitoids, predators, entomopathogens, phytopathogens, IPM, and botanicals in control of pests and diseases, and safety of biopesticides. In addition, a special symposium was conducted on the Management of the Tomato Leafminer, Tuta absoluta, October 22, 2015.
The Tuta absoluta symposium was led by presentations of R. Muniappan, Shoki Al-Dobai, Ahmed El-Heneidy and Hamam Bekhiet. It was followed by discussion and recommendations.
The recommendations of the workshop were:
• Establish a national network involving Scientists, Extension agents, NGOs, Private industries, and farmers.
• Establish a regional network for the Near East, North Africa, and Mediterranean.
• Regularly communicate with the Tuta absoluta Global Working Group established under IAPPS.
• Publish a Tuta absoluta News Letter (for Global program).
• Develop a database of Tuta absoluta natural enemies in Egypt and the region.
• Get all specimens (natural enemies collected) identified/confirmed by a specialist.
• Consider organizing an International Workshop on Tuta absoluta in Egypt in association with the Arab Society for Plant Protection meeting in November, 2017.
Prof R. Muniappan
IAPPS Region XIII: North America