Research Associate, IPM Innovation Lab
Working Title: Research Associate, IPM Innovation Lab
Department: OIRED – International Education
Location: Blacksburg, VA + travel
Employee Category: Research Faculty
The Integrated Pest Management Innovation Lab (IPM IL) is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and conducts applied IPM research on selected crops. The IPM IL is managed by the Virginia Tech Office of International Research, Education, and Development (OIRED), which currently oversees a portfolio of approximately $46 million in international research and development projects.
A Research Associate is being sought to provide assistance and expertise to the IPM IL Management Entity (ME) in Entomology/Plant Pathology for development of various components of IPM packages for tropical vegetables and other crops in project countries. The position reports to the IPM Innovation Lab Director within OIRED at Virginia Tech.
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals for associate awards and other Request for Applications (from the donor agency).
- Reviewing and participating in research programs in the IP IL host countries.
- Contributing to scholarly publications based on project research.
- Preparing Pesticide Evaluation Reports and Safe Use Action Plans (PERSUAPs) for the IPM IL projects.
- Planning and participating in field days, workshops, country and regional meetings and conferences related to plant protection.
- Coordinating with Virginia Tech, U.S. and host-country participating scientists
- Performing other project–related responsibilities as assigned including helping prepare work plans, semi-annual reports, success stories, newsletters and other IP IL related publications as well as doing background research on program technical issues.
- PhD in Plant Pathology, Entomology, or Plant Protection related fields.
- Experience in Integrated Pest Management.
- Proficiency in technical writing and preparing reports and documents in a professional manner.
- Good organizational, skills and an ability to complete assignments according to a deadline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer software such as Word, Excel, Access and other data management software.
- Ability to interact professionally with individuals from diverse, multi-cultural environments.
- Willingness to travel overseas.
- International experience in agricultural research and development
- Foreign language skills